Great Northern Cemetery
The Great Northern Cemetery was opened in 1856 by the Great Northern Cemetery Company, a joint venture between the Colney Hatch Company and the Great Northern Railway Company. It is located in an area of north London previously called Colney Hatch, but now known as New Southgate.
In the early 1850s, overcrowded burial grounds in inner London were closed and there was a movement to create new cemeteries further away from the city. The Great Northern Cemetery was one of many cemeteries opened around London during this time.
The cemetery is now called New Southgate Cemetery and a crematorium has since been added. It has been owned by New Southgate Cemetery and Crematorium Ltd since 1993 and is part of the Westerleigh Group.
Blog posts about visits to New Southgate Cemetery:
<insert blog posts here>
People buried at New Southgate Cemetery:
Brunswick Park Road, New Southgate
<cemetery map not yet available>
Telephone: +44 (0)20 8361 1713
Type: Commercially-owned cemetery
Owned by: New Southgate Cemetery and Crematorium Ltd
Year opened: 1856
Number of burials: <unknown>
Size of cemetery: 54 acres
District: London Borough of Barnet
Burial records are kept at New Southgate Cemetery office
Burial records are not yet searchable online